The history of the
public house has stood on the corner of Kent Street and Union Street since the late 1800’s, an era when most city centre street corners would have had a pub on them. Sadly most have long since disappeared. Prior to the Sunflower Public House opening in 2012 the pub was called The Tavern, a name which perviously belonged to a bar in Unity flats until it’s demolition in the 1980’s. Sunflower itself took it’s name from another demolished pub which once stood on Corporation Street. For many years before The Tavern the pub was called The Avenue, a name which our older customers still use to this day.